Community Wide Suggestions

Deleting/Reshaping current inactive servers

I agree that Deathrun should be replaced with something else, but I don't think it should be a Minecraft server. We've had Minecraft in the past but people get bored of it pretty quickly.

TTT Vanilla

Don't really need a gun and development team for a vanilla server? if it's vanilla what would a dev team be needed for? you literally just use the base TTT gamemode for vanilla, at most you'd need one person to make some slight edits to gun stats for balancing. I highly disagree with replacing TTT2 with a vanilla server as it gets used, if anything one of the dead servers (deathrun, surf, bhop) should be replaced with a vanilla TTT. Also ofc there wouldn't be any models and there also wouldn't be a variety of T/D weapons added nor an XP system if it's a vanilla server, not quite sure you know what a vanilla TTT server is fam.

Current TTT server Suggestions

Personally I don't think we need a gun team, the guns are fine imo. Maps? adding new ones isn't gonna do shit tbh, everybody is just going to keep voting for the same maps. Sure they might play the new ones for a day or two but after that it'll just go back to the same maps we currently play. Events sound nice, but I personally don't feel like they'd do a whole lot to increase the playerbase and I also fail to see a point in a double XP event as your level really doesn't do anything. Changing up the T/D items would be nice imo, would help keep things fresh and change up the way T/D's approach things. Pretty sure boosters work, but I don't think anybody really uses them. As for removing guns? why? more options aren't a bad thing, and I see people using all of those. There is a trusted rank and regular isn't needed imo, if you're a regular on the server people are gonna know who you are without you having a fancy role.

Forum Update

You know the forums only recently got an update yea? it's also not up to staff to make people use the forum, that's up to the community. Forums in general are dying anyway.

Developer Applications

Not really something that's up to the community, that's something for the owner to decide if he wants to happen or not.

Management

It's not just the upper management that are inactive, it's most of the staff. They have bursts of activity every now and then but it never lasts long, and honestly that's the biggest problem Flux has imo. New servers or new content would be nice, but without active staff they won't mean shit. Players aren't going to stick around on a server for a gun or a map they like if they're constantly RDM'd or harassed in some other form and nothing happens because staff aren't active, which needs to change.

1 hour ago, Wolfe said:

Maps? adding new ones isn't gonna do shit tbh, everybody is just going to keep voting for the same maps. Sure they might play the new ones for a day or two but after that it'll just go back to the same maps we currently play.

3 hours ago, Order66 said:

new maps aren't the problem. Even if you add new maps people are still gonna be mindless sheep that just rotate around the same maps they already play innocentmotel, community pool etc.

"as well as the removal of certain shit/over played maps."

i definitely agree with higashi, as i would love to see a good rotation of brand new maps as well the removal of the over played mapss like complex/mote/minecrafts/pools. they're stale and boring and if they were gone, people would HAVE to play the new maps/underplayed maps. maybe not removing said maps permanently but swapping them out of the rotation for a month or so would be a good idea

i also feel like having the t/d items changed up via removing unused one and adding completely new ones would change up the gameplay a bit.

forums being unused isn't much of an issue, and i think it would be easier if more of the things suggested here were just added to the discord, such as a channel for model/map/t & d item suggestions and a channel for weekly/monthly polls for the addition of said suggestions every few weeks or so. Also promote the discord the way you said the forums should be promoted might help.

i know a lot about and have had to deal with constant rule breaking and rdm going unpunished because of how unactive the majority of staff have been, as i have been playing (nearly) every single day for at least an hour or so, sometimes for most the day ever since i came back to this server in november after a 2 year gap of no gmod. it was the main reason i applied for staff and also the main reason i have been trying my best to be on everyday dealing with rule breakers and all of the reports. i understand that some of the staff may be bored of gmod or have actual jobs but i feel like some of the staff could definitely try to be a bit more active.

i don't know about replacing the unused servers but taking them down would just be beneficial as they are rarely ever used and as such, a waste of money to host.

1 hour ago, BruhMoment said:

i definitely agree with higashi, as i would love to see a good rotation of brand new maps as well the removal of the over played mapss like complex/mote/minecrafts/pools. they're stale and boring and if they were gone, people would HAVE to play the new maps/underplayed maps. maybe not removing said maps permanently but swapping them out of the rotation for a month or so would be a good idea

Yeah no. Forcing people to play maps they don't want to play is a good way to kill your playerbase. Removing all the maps everybody loves to play is just going to make them move to another server.

1 hour ago, BruhMoment said:

i don't know about replacing the unused servers but taking them down would just be beneficial as they are rarely ever used and as such, a waste of money to host.

Flux is getting enough from donations to keep servers up, so replacing them with other modes that people will play isn't a terrible idea tbh. It would help the community grow and gives us more options to play as well.

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Wolfe, there is only 2 other game modes (DarkRP & StarwarsRP)  that have some form of active player base. Flux has tried RP before and it flopped terribly. 

It flopped because nobody did anything with it. If it had an active dev that actually put time and effort into it then it might still be around now. Also I never said it had to be Garry's Mod, could find other games the community enjoy and put up a server for those.

Here are some things I can immediately say off the bat:

Deathrun: Sid left Flux, he was not booted. The server does not need to be taken down for a new one to go up, this has had to be reinforced to the community and staff countless times, and will probably continue to be.

Minecraft: Is a possibility, and there have been servers for the staff team that have gone public in the past, however either it wasn't advertised enough or nobody bothered to play it after they logged in for the first time. The only way one of these will take off is if there's a team of dedicated people who will maintain and take care of it, who are trusted enough by Menace to log in to and use his server host.

Guns: I can see the benefit of having a gun team, or something similar to it. The idea of deleting older guns has been toyed with, but that's it. Personally I have a different idea in mind that will have a result similar to this without having to remove the guns. More on this will have to be talked about and discussed with the admins before I can say and confirm anymore.

Maps: Here is where everyone is going to an extreme. Yes, let's add more maps. No, let's not delete overplayed ones. Instead, we need to have a cooldown after a map is played, of let's say 5 maps until it can be played again. An exception to this would be if the map is voted for a repeat, and can only be voted for a repeat once, for example.

Vanilla TTT: Some staff including myself have been asking Menace for this for a long while. It may happen in the near or distant future, or it may not happen at all. Hopefully if he sees more of the community wanting this, it may finally happen.

Advisor/Developers: I'll be honest, there are staff who are lacking at being active in their respective fields. This is primarily due to a lack of motive, which hopefully can be solved if the ball gets rolling towards a Flux revamp. Developers, that's really down to Menace and who he's capable of/willing to work with, if he even wishes to do so. Bear in mind that this is a server he's been working on far longer than the 3 years it's been up for, so it's understandable if he's a bit of a mama bear about it. That said, it wouldn't be unwise to seek out assistance from another dev, for whatever use he may need of them. 

Forums: Here's a big bit of controversy. The forums need a little work, I will admit. Despite those who want Discord to replace them, the forums have much more possabilities than Discord, and should not be made invalid. That said however, the use of the forums does not come down to staff forcing people to use them, it comes down to the community (which includes the staff) choosing to use them. They have been neglected by the majority of the community, for one reason or another, but they have potential and will be worked on.

I will note an issue with a lot of the QOL suggestions here.  This is Gmod. Because of that, and the amount of content on the server, it's already under a lot of strain. Adding more things that the server needs to process in the background, likely won't help with performance, as it similarly hasn't in the past. I don't know how much some of these suggestions could impact the server, so it may be worth a test, however that won't guarantee that they stay. The server performance is already, at least to me, severely lacking and could be much better.

I'm going to stop here because I'm starting to lose track of my thoughts, but this is just a small response to the list posted. Some ideas or variations thereof I agree with, others I am against. At some point soon I'm expecting a big discussion between the staff/admins about this and any additional ideas suggested, so if anyone has any more, get them in quick.

That is all.

I'm going to try to wrap this one up in a neat post with my primary response to @Wookie and @Wolfe

TTT Vanilla: The whole reason I even joined flux was (sorry for sharing our most intimidate story menace <3) because I was looking for a community that I could help out and play on after the shutdown of Poseidon, I messaged Menace with my sole intention of using one of his servers to start up a TTT vanilla, he agreed to just see what I had on me, unfortunately for me the server backup I had on me was a little scrambled, a few bugs and would take a couple of days to a week of serious effort to fix them back to their original state, seeing this Menace said to me: "Play on TTT1, get hours, get staff and show me you're committed then I'll think about starting up a TTT vanilla server with the files you've given me" and here we are now.

The server needs a gun and development team, gun team for the obvious to change and tweak guns (contrary to popular belief, but the guns always need tweaking in some aspect) and a semi active development team to iron out any bugs or problems that a vanilla server may have or any updates that need to be made for the server. Putting a TTT server up and labelling it "vanilla" can and will break shit, all gamemodes need a startup of some semi serious coding and fixing the server itself.

TTT2 does get used, but only when TTT1 goes down, its a placeholder just in case if TTT1 goes down, but I see you're point.

Minecraft: Is a serious possibility, I'm sure its been done in the past but hasn't been given much thought or oversight ever, factions or towny is not hard to do at all, im sure Menace could do it in a blink of an eye. World border, mcmmo, other addons, builders, structures, shop, done. You could even expand the donation tree for donators: heres one I made earlier check it out: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j6KsDPsA8wzcsHX2SGZ1lY0KUStwKz7V6psfiSp0yf0/edit

Guns: Wolfe, we definitely need some sort of gun team, it might be slow but it is sure in the long run of providing balanced changes to the server, you and others like the guns because you've probably been playing with 2 shot head shot for years, but look at the guns from an outside perspective, look at all the guns that are considered good: Now why are they good? If its got something to do with damage or the head shot multiplayer then that's a point to me, anything else is a point to you (Also 'uniqueness isn't a thing, and saying "it looks cool" dosen't count either). The guns are broken, full stop my dude, I feel having a gun team who know what their doing and are in sync with one another can slowly patch all of the guns on the server through continuous updates and relooks, so no gun isn't 'too' broken. (Also the last staff meeting we had, I suggested a gun team and map team, which was agreed upon, nothing seems to have ever come out of it tho since Taylor was in charge of maps).

Maps: Exactly what wookie said, a buffer for maps that have recently been played would be great, the same thing was on poseidon and it stopped rooftops being played for the 5th time in a row. "This map has recently been played: Cooldown: 5 maps."

Thats about it for the Wolfe section, if you actually read my post im sure you can understand what I said a bit better instead of taking snipets and putting them into a post.

Advisors/Developers: 100% agree Wookie, I feel that certain people moreover should move into the advisor role instead of taking up a seat for someone else to potentially do very very well in. Although that leaves the seat open to certain individuals who....would be worse off in that position than in their previous position.

Forums: Add incentives to the forums like I mentioned in my post, also fiddle around with the functionality of the forums and addons that you can put on, a solid 10 minutes of going through the forum store to search for forum addons can and will provide many affordable results, even free ones. Look at how other communitys have effortlessly styled their forums, hell even Poseidon ran on MyBB for well over 5 years and it looked fucking amazing.

It all boils down to whether or  not you guys are actually going to look into this/sit down and talk with your community. Whatever happened to this: 

Btw this post happened because I annoyed menace into posting it, but nothing came out of it. 90% of these suggestions have already been suggested by me or others in the past, hell a majority of my staffing was annoying Menace into seeing what the community actually wants and what he is willing to do.

Quick response to some of the points you just brought up that I disagree with or have additional comments on, Higashi:

19 hours ago, Higashi said:

TTT2 does get used, but only when TTT1 goes down, its a placeholder just in case if TTT1 goes down, but I see you're point.

This us for the most part incorrect. People do play TTT2 whilst TTT1 isn't full, either because they want a less popular server or because they dislike people on the main one. As long as it is played, it will not be brought down. That's the only reason that TTT3 and PropHunt - the only two long-lasting servers we've had that aren't around anymore - were taken offline, the need for TTT3 passed and PropHunt was played once in a blue moon.

Minecraft: Is a serious possibility, I'm sure its been done in the past but hasn't been given much thought or oversight ever, factions or towny is not hard to do at all, im sure Menace could do it in a blink of an eye.

He very much could do it, yes. Not so much in the blink of an eye, obviously it would take time, including all the bug testing and issues and whatnot. The problem? Menace doesn't want to do it. That's why it hasn't and likely won't be done, at least not by him.

Forums: Add incentives to the forums like I mentioned in my post, also fiddle around with the functionality of the forums and addons that you can put on, a solid 10 minutes of going through the forum store to search for forum addons can and will provide many affordable results, even free ones. Look at how other communitys have effortlessly styled their forums, hell even Poseidon ran on MyBB for well over 5 years and it looked fucking amazing.

That is the plan for the forums, I know what I am doing and I have done it before. Things have just not been installed and set up yet. As a side note, Poseidon had a decent MyBB forums, but when they changed to Invision it looked boring and the interface was changed completely, so I don't know what the go was there. On that note, Poseidon's forums were so popular because they started with their forums and a TeamSpeak server. TeamSpeak is far more difficult to communicate long term on compared to forums or Discord. They then moved to Discord as well, however retained their TeamSpeak, so the forums were still popular and acted as a middle ground for users of both voice communication platforms to discuss things on. This, and Poseidon had many more years to build up an active community before apps such as Discord became available. I feel like the only way that we can get our forums to the point of being as active as what you imagine them to be (Poseidon type of active), is to either disable text chat in Discord for a few months, or completely rework it to limit what people can and can't say there to move things like trades and stuff here, and neither of those are likely to happen. It would shatter the community.

Advisors/Developers: 100% agree Wookie, I feel that certain people moreover should move into the advisor role instead of taking up a seat for someone else to potentially do very very well in.

I don't think I was clear enough with what I said there. There are currently people in server management positions who are more than capable of doing what they need to do in said positions. I'm not saying that they should be put into a new backseat role, merely that they are inactive because of a lack of motivation. Motivation that could be sparked anew by the server getting a revamp and renewal. We already have Menace who is the owner and Generic who actively takes care of the guns, Taylor is supposed to be doing maps but is apparently waiting on Menace for something, idk. Either way, there are capable people there, just lacking the motivation and/or ability to get things done.

look at all the guns that are considered good: Now why are they good? If its got something to do with damage or the head shot multiplayer then that's a point to me, anything else is a point to you (Also 'uniqueness isn't a thing, and saying "it looks cool" dosen't count either). The guns are broken, full stop my dude

I can agree with the guns needing a rework, the balance sucks at the moment. That said, there is no way to keep the balance with the incredible range of guns we have right now. We can't just go and say "let's take stats from CS or something" because those stats are designed for a game where the guns are bought with in-game cash and every player has access to them. However we also can't go and make the guns worse than the default ones that everyone has access to either, because then what would be the point? There is a fine point where the guns will truly be balanced. The more weapons, the more variance, which makes it more and more difficult to balance them properly whilst still maintaining individuality of the guns. I personally feel like all guns of the same kind should have the same damage values. ie. AK Dragon, Iron Beast, etc are all the same as the base AK-47, as with the M4s, Deagles, etc. This would require A LOT of work to put in, however it would mean less variety and mean some guns aren't a straight cop of others. As I said, there is a very fine line to find the balance between crap and OP guns, so it's at the point where something needs to be done other than just tweaking every gun individually.

I explained the gun stuff rather poorly, so it's probably hard to understand, which is why it's something that needs discussing via voice with the staff and admins to come up with a better way of balancing them.

I feel like a lot of points Higashi brought up are extremely useful. The idea of implementing some Developers to actively work on the server would probably spark interest in keeping the community around and definitely a change to the map pool is necessary. I think it has been completely overstated that we need new Maps and I totally agree with @Wookie removing the most popular maps is a terrible idea because they are popular for a reason. I think we would need to work out a cool down especially on those Community Pool/ Minecraft maps to stop them from being overplayed and to keep TTT interesting.  I think those ideas have been generally well accepted by the community at least in this post. 

Sure implementing new things will bring excitement to the server but I don't necessarily think an entire team dedicated to Guns is necessary. I think it should be up to the community and maybe a core group of developers to discuss issues with current guns and old guns and discuss what changes are needed. 

I think the issue of Inactive staff due to lack of Motivation or whatever reasoning is an issue. But the idea that somebody has actively signed up for the TTT servers as staff and has yet to play on it for months on end is a pretty clear indication that they are no longer interested in the community. If you are no longer interested in the community, why continue to be a staff member? I feel like its unfair to a core group of moderators who I constantly see day in day out on the server (even though as of recent i rarely join.) @Aeyon for example I always see taking care of the server especially when the majority of staff aren't active. I just feel as though if you were bored of the server and haven't joined TTT within 3-4 months why are you still apart of the community, surely management should have some kind of communication with inactive staff members to see reasoning? Menace doing all the development Solo isn't functional IMO and even though he does a great job there is only so much one person can do. Why not have a core group of 5 or so people that you can trust work on new things to keep the server interesting?? 

Minecraft servers would be good, I think keeping the community active on the forums with events such as giveaways and all that kind of jazz helped keep the community interesting for me at least in part. Who's to say that we don't have a game night every week where somebody hosts a game such as Jackbox/SCP/Whatever would help greatly. Interest in the server correlates with community interaction. I think the lack of these forms of interaction and consequentially lack of these small changes are the main reason why community's fall apart. Unfortunately Staff/Servers/Community has to keep evolving to spark interest. Because there is only so much of the same-same before regulars become inactive. 

spacer.png

• Winner 1