Suggestion forum issues

TwiiTcheZ v

To be quite honest. I hate the forums and the whole idea of moving suggestions from a text channel in the discord  over to the forums just to have a bot print it out onto the old channel is confusing to me because its more steps to something then we had previously.

Issues I have with the suggestion forums

• There are now more steps involved with posting a suggestion. (which is about a sentence long) 

I can't speak for others in the community personally cannot bothered to going to the forums just to post a sentence or less / a link to a playermodel, map, or whatever. Posting suggestions on the discord was easy.

• The suggestion bot feels pointless. 

Why even have the bot parrot suggestion posts when we the community could post there instead?

• The bot doesn't even format the posts correctly,
  • Post total file upload size. Flux Forums total file size per post: 8MB vs. Discord: 100MB

Linking a hi-res photo or clip is a no go with the 8MB file limit. Clips you'd most likely have to upload them to a Youtube account which would add even more steps to the already existing problem with forum suggestions,

• Forums don't have a reliable way of contacting a person 

With discord you can right click a name and click "message" but on the forums you gotta hope to god that they either linked their discord or steam to their forum profile. Also @'ing someone on discord is a lot easier for both sender and receiver on discord because people spend more time on discord then they would on the forums.

• Pet peeve about the forums the banner at the top of the page covers things like text formatting options so its an issue for anyone writing a slightly longer post.

Ironically there is a suggestion in this post:

• Create/add a support ticket bot that copies a suggestion and puts it into a document that is posted in a staff channel at some point during the day to be reviewed by the staff team / Menace.
  • Remove paper plane please and thanks.

In conclusion forum suggestions (my personal opinion) are a terrible idea and I hate it please go back to discord.

Edited by TwiiTcheZ v
Title
  • Agree 1
  • MuchLuv 1
  • TwiiTcheZ v changed the title to Suggestion forum issues

Running low on time so dot pointing is all I can do right now:

- From a users perspective I do see it being more inconvenient.

This is just one side of the coin, the other side if my perspective when players post a suggestion I want to reply to it.

This at times does get hard to do when people have a discussion or players keep posting the same suggestions.

I also want a easy way to come back to a good suggestion. When I'm coding it, I need a easy way to see everyone input on the suggestion. Having everything in one big topic from a development perspective is awesome.

- I do believe the extra inconvenience will help reduce the shit post suggestions.

- When it comes to organising suggestions forums is far better.

I can see what I have and haven't replied too.

People making a suggestion will get a reply from me because of how its works on the forums.

- Suggesting an idea shouldn't be a simple thing.

I want players to really think about what they are saying and explain there idea to me.

- Forums upload limitations isn't an issue.

This to me isn't a problem.

Players rarely post stuff higher then a few megabyte.

8M is more then enough when it comes to 99% of suggestions.

- We use the discord bot as a notification and a quick look at what's been suggested.

- I don't want to have all my eggs in discord.

Moving some stuff to the forums is a good idea.

• MuchLuv 1

Whilst menace has brought up the logical and valid points, I would like to throw my hat in the ring, for all your points bit by bit:

• "There are now more steps involved with posting a suggestion. (which is about a sentence long) "
    • This is true, and actually requires you to navigate for a split second, but this is a pro in and of itself, as it essentially eliminates all the shitposts that myself and staff delete on a daily occasion, like you have no idea. It also means that one sentence suggestions are gone too.
  • "The suggestion bot feels pointless."

• The bot is only there to notify the community on new suggestions, we can change the formatting later down the line as well.

• "Linking a hi-res photo or clip is a no go with the 8MB file limit."

• Yes, but this is a thing for most forums, we can increase the file size if absolutely needed, but there are other forms of posting images and videos, 

• Imgur

• Youtube

• Streamable

• pastebin etc

• "Forums don't have a reliable way of contacting a person "

• image.thumb.png.b7dd17c0e2255b7ef15dc8f14069a354.png This is also when discord or any other form of messaging could be done, as forums are used for information and documentation usually.

• "Pet peeve about the forums the banner at the top of the page covers things like text formatting options so its an issue for anyone writing a slightly longer post."

• This was a problem for me as well, I will talk with meance about shortening it.

• "Create/add a support ticket bot that copies a suggestion and puts it into a document that is posted in a staff channel at some point during the day to be reviewed by the staff team / Menace."

• #community-suggestions will be notified and both myself, menace and all of management view the forums daily.