Death roleplay and temporary advanced level system

Dark RP is unique in that resources have significantly more value than a player's life. In fact, a player's life can be measured on the weapons they have and the contents of their pockets. The only exception to this is the job Mayor, who will become a citizen on death. 

NLR is a hollow attempt to add value to a player's life by restricting their movement during their next one. The problem is this restriction is A. Temporary and B. Enough time for a thief to go purchase another Kevlar and their M249. So it will be excluded in my argument. With that said, what is more valuable to a player than the equipment they carry and the loot in their base? Their job. 

Jobs are neat little ways to guide roleplay. Some of these jobs are significantly more popular than others, such as thief. This wouldn't be much of an issue if players could be cycled through instead of having one stay on that job for 12 hours straight, but right now it's first come first served. 

After all that exposition, here is my suggestion; demote players (to civilian) upon death, like mayor. 

Pros: 

- The players playing jobs can be cycled through by them being killed (admittedly this isn't as important with low numbers).

- There will be greater risks involved in combat scenarios, given you will lose more than just a favourite gun. 

- As a function, it'll be unique compared to other servers.

Cons: 

- Players may play cautiously to avoid death, avoiding fights they cannot win or are risky. 

- Makes RDM significantly more annoying. 

- With low player counts this system will boil down to just re-joining it immediately after death, rendering it pointless. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

At this point, you'd be forgiven for thinking that this will boil down to being pointless. You're right, and this is where I bring up the second point of discussion, the leveling system. 

Leveling up and gaining a better salary and a little health is neat, but it isn't flawless.

For one, there is no player input (I think). Killing someone or performing tasks associated with that job (Police Officer = Arrest players, kill players, battering ram, etc.) does nothing. The entire level-up system boils down to being AFK until you go from recruit to superintendent instead of requiring the player actually doing something.

This leads onto my second point, once you've reached that max level, that's it. Your level adds no value to roleplay once you've reached it's highest rank other than a health cap and salary. This isn't dynamic, it's static and effectively boils down to 'Player one is a higher level than the newbie player two, they immediately have an advantage just because they afk'd for 12 hours'. 

(Repeating myself) After all that exposition, here is my suggestion; Player levels should be temporary, but level up incredibly fast and add to gameplay significantly more. 

When this is taken into context with jobs being temporary, every life in roleplay has the potential to feel like a different game. To level up players have to actively perform tasks related to their job instead of waiting, which in turn should reward them more for doing so. 

Imagine this, you're a new thief and because of a successful raid 10 minutes into your career you've not only gained printers, guns and kevlar, but you've reached level three. Now, your max health is 150 and you can lockpick 25% faster. This in turn encourages you to continue playing well and playing in general, because if you don't continue succeeding then other players will overtake you. 

It doesn't have to end here. Levels don't need to boil down to more health and statistics. They could (should) have a rogue-like element to them, such as reaching a certain milestone enables a player to select one of multiple random perks. Ranging from a firearms license to permanent drug effects.

I don't know, but I feel that if playing the same job felt different each time you played it I might feel more attached to it if I could lose it all on death.

I definitely haven't covered this topic all inclusively because I was rushing the thoughts of the loving Senior Management (including me). Don't worry, I hate it. 

But I will say that I'm proud of the fact Will Spunk hates it too. 

Edited by VeraRixon
3 minutes ago, VeraRixon said:

I definitely haven't covered this topic all inclusively because I was rushing the thoughts of the loving Senior Management (including me). Don't worry, I hate it. 

But I will say that I'm proud of the fact Will Spunk hates it too. 

My contribution is that if we are going to do rogue-like elements, we should go all in on the theme: money, levels, everything. Make the most out of each life, and you can cash in for something permanent.
Just doing an element feels unbalanced in terms of the 'semi-serious' theme & would be unfun in the present state of the game. Focus the game around the rogue element, or don't do it at all. My name is Will Spunk.

• Agree 1